Chevy Malibu insurance image courtesy of QuoteInspector.com
Regrettably, most auto insurance customers renewed their policy with the same company for more than four years, and approximately 40% of consumers have never even shopped around for cheap coverage. The average driver in North Carolina can cut their rates by $90 a year just by shopping around, but they don't understand how simple it is to compare rates.
If you want to find the absolute lowest rates, then the best way to save on auto insurance rates in Greensboro is to compare prices once a year from different companies in North Carolina. You can compare rates by following these guidelines.
- Spend a few minutes and learn about how insurance works and the measures you can take to keep rates in check. Many rating criteria that cause rate increases like careless driving and an imperfect credit rating can be controlled by making minor driving habit or lifestyle changes.
- Get rate quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only give prices from a single company like Progressive and State Farm, while independent agencies can quote rates for a wide range of insurance providers.
- Compare the new rates to your current policy and determine if cheaper Malibu coverage is available in Greensboro. If you find a better price and buy the policy, make sure there is no lapse in coverage.
- Provide adequate notice to your current company to cancel your current car insurance policy. Submit payment and a signed application for your new coverage. Immediately upon receiving it, safely store the certificate of insurance with the vehicle registration.
One thing to point out is to make sure you're comparing similar coverage information on every quote and and to compare all possible companies. Doing this helps ensure the most accurate price comparison and a complete price analysis.
When shopping for Chevy Malibu insurance in Greensboro there are multiple ways to compare rate quotes from different companies. The recommended way to find the lowest Chevy Malibu rates is to get quotes online.
Just remember that making a lot of price comparisons will improve the odds of getting the best offered rates. Some insurance companies are not set up to provide rate quotes online, so it's important to also get rates from them as well.
The following companies are our best choices to provide price comparisons in North Carolina. If multiple companies are listed, it's a good idea that you click on several of them to get the best price comparison.
Verify you're getting every discount
Companies offering auto insurance don't always list every possible discount in a way that's easy to find, so the following is a list of both the well known as well as some of the hidden credits available to you.
- Save with a New Car - Insuring a vehicle that is new can cost up to 25% less since new model year vehicles have better safety ratings.
- Drivers Ed for Students - Cut your cost by having your teen driver enroll and complete driver's education in school or through a local driver safety program.
- Defensive Driving Course - Taking time to complete a course that instructs on driving safety may get you a small discount and make you a better driver.
- Active Military Service - Being deployed in the military could qualify you for better premium rates.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings - Keeping the miles down on your Chevy could earn lower rates on the low mileage vehicles.
- Good Student - Excelling in school may save you up to 25%. Most companies allow this discount well after school through age 25.
- Discount for Passive Restraints - Vehicles with factory air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems can qualify for discounts up to 30%.
Consumers should know that most of the big mark downs will not be given to your bottom line cost. Most cut the price of certain insurance coverages like collision or personal injury protection. Just because it seems like you could get a free auto insurance policy, company stockholders wouldn't be very happy.
The information below illustrates the difference between Chevy Malibu auto insurance rates with and without discounts being applied to the rates. The premium estimates are based on a female driver, no violations or accidents, North Carolina state minimum liability limits, full physical damage coverage, and $1,000 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with multi-policy, homeowner, safe-driver, claim-free, multi-car, and marriage discounts applied.
The best auto insurance companies and their offered discounts are detailed below.
- Farm Bureau may have discounts that include good student, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, safe driver, 55 and retired, driver training, and youthful driver.
- State Farm offers discounts including multiple policy, safe vehicle, accident-free, good student, good driver, and passive restraint.
- Progressive may include discounts for continuous coverage, online signing, good student, multi-policy, homeowner, and multi-vehicle.
- Allstate discounts include senior citizen, safe driver, early signing, new car, multi-policy, and utility vehicle.
- Nationwide offers premium reductions for accident-free, anti-theft, good student, family plan, business or organization, and Farm Bureau membership.
- MetLife has discounts for good student, accident-free, multi-policy, claim-free, and defensive driver.
Before you buy a policy, ask each company which discounts they offer. All car insurance discounts might not be offered on policies in every state.
Rates and statistics
The data table below covers detailed analysis of coverage prices for Chevy Malibu models. Having knowledge of how insurance premiums are calculated is important to be able to make decisions on the best policy coverages.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices based on married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and North Carolina minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, claim-free, safe-driver, multi-policy, and multi-vehicle. Prices do not factor in specific location which can influence coverage prices substantially.
Difference between liability only and full coverage rates
The information below compares Chevy Malibu insurance prices with full physical damage coverage compared to only buying the minimum liability limits required in North Carolina. The premium estimates are based on no driving violations, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, single status, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Should you pay for full coverage?
There isn't a written rule to stop buying comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, but there is a general convention. If the annual cost of comprehensive and collision coverage is about 10% or more of replacement cost minus your deductible, then you may need to consider dropping full coverage.
For example, let's assume your Chevy Malibu replacement cost is $8,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is destroyed, the most your company would pay you is $7,000 after the policy deductible has been paid. If you are paying in excess of $700 annually for full coverage, then it might be time to buy liability only.
There are some cases where eliminating full coverage is not financially feasible. If you have an outstanding loan on your vehicle, you are required to maintain full coverage as part of the loan requirements. Also, if you cannot afford to purchase a different vehicle if your current one is in an accident, you should keep full coverage in place.
Informed Consumers Save Money
One of the most helpful ways to save on car insurance is to to have a grasp of the different types of things that come into play when calculating the price you pay for car insurance. If you have some idea of what controls the rates you pay, this allows you to make educated decisions that could help you find lower car insurance prices. Lots of things are part of the equation when quoting car insurance. Some are pretty understandable like an MVR report, but some are not as apparent like your continuous coverage or your vehicle rating.
The list below includes most of the major factors used by companies to determine rates.
Cheaper rates after marriage - Having a significant other may earn you lower rates on your policy. Having a significant other usually means you are more mature and responsible and statistics prove drivers who are married file infrequent claims.
Raise your physical damage deductibles for better prices - Physical damage insurance, also called 'full coverage', is used to repair damage to your vehicle. Some coverage claims are colliding with a building, flood damage, and damage from a fallen tree branch. The deductibles you choose tell how much you are required to spend out-of-pocket if you file a covered claim. The more the insured is willing to pay, the less money you will pay for car insurance.
Gender and insurance coverage - Statistics have proven women are more cautious behind the wheel. It does not mean men are worse drivers. Both sexes cause at-fault accidents at a similar rate, but the men tend to have higher claims. Men also statistically receive more major tickets like driving under the influence (DUI).
The chart below illustrates the difference between Chevy Malibu insurance costs for male and female drivers. The price estimates are based on a clean driving record, no claims, full physical damage coverage, $500 deductibles, drivers are single, and no policy discounts are applied.
Age of drivers impacts prices - More mature drivers are proven to be safer behind the wheel, tend to file fewer claims, and get fewer tickets. Inexperience drivers tend to be more careless when behind the wheel so they pay higher car insurance rates.
The next chart is based on a single driver, full coverage with $1000 deductibles, and no discounts or violations.
Car insurance policy lapses increase car insurance rates - Allowing your car insurance policy to lapse can be a quick way to increase your rates. In addition to paying higher rates, the inability to provide proof of insurance may earn you fines or a revoked license.
Vocation impacts rates - Careers such as military personnel, architects, and emergency personnel tend to have higher premium rates because of stressful work requirements and extremely grueling work hours. Other jobs like professors, students and homemakers pay the least.
Put fewer miles on your vehicle - The more you drive every year the higher the price you pay to insure it. The majority of insurers price each vehicle's coverage determined by how the vehicle is used. Cars used primarily for pleasure use get more affordable rates compared to those used for work or business. Having an incorrect usage rating on your Malibu may be wasting your money. Ask your agent if your policy states the correct usage for each vehicle.
How credit history affects car insurance costs - Having a bad credit history can be an important factor in calculating your premium rate. Insureds that have high credit ratings tend to be better risks to insure as compared to drivers with lower credit scores. If your credit score can be improved, you could pay less to insure your Chevrolet Malibu by repairing your credit.
Chevy Malibu claim data - Insurers analyze historical claim data as a way to help calculate a profitable premium rate. Models that the statistics show to have higher loss trends will have increased rates. The data below shows the historical loss data for Chevy Malibu vehicles.
For each coverage type, the claim probability for all vehicles, as a total average, is equal to 100. Values that are below 100 suggest a positive loss record, while values that are 100 or greater point to more claims or larger claims.
|Vehicle Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
Data Source: iihs.org (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) for 2013-2015 Model Years
Compare prices but buy from a local Greensboro insurance agency
Some consumers still prefer to buy from a local agent and often times that is recommended An additional benefit of comparing rates online is the fact that you can find cheap auto insurance quotes but also keep your business local.
Upon completion of this form (opens in new window), your insurance coverage information is instantly submitted to local insurance agents in Greensboro that can provide free Greensboro car insurance quotes for your insurance coverage. It makes it easy because there is no need to visit any agencies because quoted prices will be sent immediately to you. Get lower rates and a licensed agent to work with. If you wish to get a price quote from a specific insurance company, you can always jump over to their website to submit a rate quote request.
Choosing an provider should include more criteria than just the quoted price. Before buying a policy in Greensboro, get answers to these questions.
- Do they review policy coverages at every renewal?
- Do the companies they represent have a solid financial rating?
- Do they offer accident forgiveness?
- What insurance companies do they recommend if they are an independent agent?
- Which family members are covered?
Tailor your auto insurance coverage to you
Keep in mind that when it comes to choosing coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is not a one size fits all plan. Your needs are unique to you so your insurance should reflect that For example, these questions may help you determine whether or not you might need an agent's assistance.
- What is the rate difference between pleasure use and commuting?
- If I drive on a suspended license am I covered?
- What is PIP insurance?
- What if I total my Chevy Malibu and owe more than it's worth?
- Do I need higher collision deductibles?
- What is the ISO rating for a Chevy Malibu?
- Am I covered if I crash into my own garage door?
- Should I buy more coverage than the required North Carolina minimum liability coverage?
- How many claims can I have before being canceled?
- Is extra glass coverage worth it?
If it's difficult to answer those questions, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed agent. To find an agent in your area, fill out this quick form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier
Greensboro auto insurance companies ranked
Buying coverage from the right company can be difficult considering how many different companies sell coverage in North Carolina. The company ratings in the next section can help you decide which auto insurers you want to consider purchasing coverage from.
|Company||Value||Customer Service||Claims||Customer Satisfaction||A.M Best Rating||Overall Score|
|Compare Rates Now Go|
Data Source: Insure.com Best Car Insurance Companies
Persistent drivers can save
When buying insurance coverage, you should never skimp on coverage in order to save money. There are many occasions where an insured dropped full coverage and discovered at claim time that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. Your strategy should be to purchase plenty of coverage at the best possible price, not the least amount of coverage.
Affordable Chevy Malibu insurance in Greensboro can be found online and with local Greensboro insurance agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both so you have a total pricing picture. Some companies may not have price quotes online and usually these smaller companies only sell through local independent agencies.
To learn more, link through to these articles:
- Cellphones, Texting and Driving (iihs.org)
- Who Has Cheap Greensboro Car Insurance for Drivers with a DUI? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for a Hyundai Sonata in Greensboro? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Greensboro Auto Insurance Quotes for Real Estate Agents? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance Rates for a Toyota Highlander in Greensboro? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for Drivers with Good Credit in Greensboro? (FAQ)
- Electronic Stability Control FAQ (iihs.org)
- New head restraint design cuts injuries (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Vehicle Size and Weight FAQ (iihs.org)
- Choosing an Insurance Company (Insurance Information Institute)